You should never employ a contractor to build an addition to your home without sitting down with them first and asking some relevant questions. Same goes for any contractor who is going to make changes to your largest investment; including cabinet makers. It’s the easiest, most dependable way to help ensure the person working on your house is qualified to do so. In this post we’ll look at some questions you should ask of any custom cabinet maker in Toronto before contracting them to build your cabinets.
Questions to Put to a Potential Cabinet Maker
The following questions are designed to help you find a reputable custom cabinet maker in Toronto. They don’t by themselves guarantee any particular result but they present a useful starting point.
- How long have you been in business? – This is pretty standard fare. It’s the question that should always lead off any contractor interview. While everyone has to start somewhere it’s preferable if the inexperienced person is the cabinet maker’s assistant, and not the cabinet maker. Ask for references as well and then follow up with them.
- What type of wood will they use to make your cabinets? – Will they be using solid hardwoods like oak, maple, ash or hickory? Or do they typically use a plywood core with a hardwood veneer? Perhaps they usually employ laminates or thermofoil finishes. Do they offer a choice? (Some do, some don’t) If they do, ask them to detail your options.
- Do I need to supply shop drawings? – You may assume that the cabinet makers will provide shop drawings for your cabinets but this may not be something they do. If you’re required to produce them you’ll need to know ahead of time. If you have specific ideas how you want your cabinets to look you may want to hire someone to create shop drawings for you anyway.
- What style do you recommend? – Shaker, beadboard, distressed, louvered, inset and flat are just some of the cabinet styles you’ll want to consider. If you’re in search of a completely unique look for your kitchen most cabinet makers will do custom faces as well.
- How are the cabinets assembled? – The last thing you want to hear from the cabinet maker is that the cabinets are stapled together. If you want your cabinets to last you’ll want them assembled using dadoes, glue and pocket screws with dovetailed corners in the drawers.
- How will the finish be applied? – Regardless of the type of finish you choose you have a better chance of getting a nice clean finish if it’s done in the shop. You also enjoy the added benefit of not having your home filled with noxious fumes during the finishing process.
- What type of hardware will you use? – For drawers undermount soft close mechanisms are the best. For handles, hinges and other hardware the style will be driven by the overall style of the cabinets and materials range from glass to gold plate and everything in between.
- How long do you anticipate the job will take? – If you’re remodeling under a deadline this may be one of the most important questions. Even if you’re not under a deadline you’ll still want to know how long your kitchen will be disrupted.
Gil Avivi Ant Man Wood Crafting and Design has been creating stunning custom furniture, millwork, cabinetry and more for discerning clients in Toronto and beyond since 1987. Our cabinets are crafted using only the best materials and with an attention to detail that will have you nodding your approval. Call us today on 416-746-3204 to find out more about how custom cabinets from Gil Avivi can transform your kitchen.