Custom made furniture is a great way to add your own signature style to the décor of your home, and so more and more people are turning to it. In order to correctly transfer the picture in your mind to a piece of custom furniture in your home, here are some tips to make sure you get exactly what you want.
5 Tips To Get What You Want From Your Custom Cabinet Maker
1. Find the right Custom cabinet maker
- If you’re looking for a custom made cabinet, the most important thing is to find someone who has both the tools and the knowledge to make it a reality.
- Luckily for you, there are more than a handful of people in Toronto who can do just that for you. Search online and through word of mouth to make sure that the one you pick is equipped to produce exactly what you’re looking for to avoid any potential disappointment in the future.
2. Know what you want
- Getting a custom made cabinet from a cabinet maker isn’t cheap, which can sting if the end product isn’t what you had in mind.
- That’s why it’s extremely important to know what you want. Take some time to consider the style, design and features of your cabinet, and then you should be able to relay this information accurately enough to ensure you get what you’re looking for at the first time of asking. They’re not mind readers, so make sure you tell them everything you’re looking for.
3. Give them a visual cue
- Even if you know exactly what you want, it can still be difficult to articulate this information over to the person who will be making your cabinet. For example, you may not know the correct technical term for what you’re asking for or you may simply forget to mention something.
- To get around this issue, try to find pictures of what you’re looking for and present them to your cabinet maker. Whether it’s a certain style of draw, handle or feet, the more details you provide, the better the chance of you getting exactly what you want.
4. If it’s possible, pay them a visit
- Once they have the brief and have begun to make your cabinet, don’t be afraid to pay them a visit if it’s possible. By making a visit or two to check the progress of your cabinet, you will have the opportunity to say whether or not it’s what you had in mind.
- This gives you the chance to ask for changes before it’s too late, something that both you and your custom cabinet maker will be thankful for as it increases the chances of you being happy with the end product.
5. If you’re not happy, speak up!
- The last thing anybody wants is an unhappy customer that might tell others in Toronto, and the last thing you want is a big bill for a cabinet that you’re not entirely satisfied with.
- If you’re not completely satisfied with it, don’t be shy – speak up and tell them. Nine times out of ten it could be something that’s easy to fix, so it’s definitely worth mentioning it no matter how big or small. After all, the customer is always right, and you should get what you paid for.
Get the Cabinets You Deserve
The decision to go from flatpack furniture to custom pieces isn’t an easy – or cheap – one, so follow the above advice to ensure you get exactly what you are paying for. By giving them whatever information or pictures you can muster and by keeping in touch, you can make sure that you have the cabinet of your dreams.
Check our new article on Trends in Custom Cabinets for 2017