2017 is definitely the year of custom furniture, with people seeming to shun flat pack furniture in favor of furniture with a more personal touch and a chance to show off their creative flair and style. Cabinets are proving to be a popular choice when it comes to going custom, so here are some of Toronto’s top trends for custom cabinets in 2017.
4 Top Custom Cabinet Trends
1. Minimalist and monochrome
- Gone are the days when people used to decorate their homes in weird and wonderful color schemes in order to look unique – one popular trend in today’s world is all about minimalism and monochrome palettes.
- Black and grey cabinets were once unheard of in the home but now offer the chance to be seen as statement pieces and something a little more “out there.”
- By keeping the colors and the lines simple and seamless, you can really tie the whole aesthetic of the house together.
- White, minimalist cabinets are a simple and classic choice for any style of décor; from a rustic, homely cottage look to modern chic, they still look great, which is why they’re a key trend in 2017.
2. Functional furniture
- When looking at trends of custom cabinets, it’s clear that people are choosing to buy a piece of furniture that’s just as functional as it is beautiful.
- From built in appliances to sections that fold in and out to save space, modern cabinets are very much focused on making life easier for you and making the most of whatever space you have.
- With photos of cabinets of this style adorning the pages of social media, it’s clear that functionality is a key trend of 2017, and one that’s unlikely to go away any time soon.
3. Homage to the old days
- You only have to look in furniture catalogues to see that designers are increasingly looking towards the past to create trends of the future, and it’s certainly true with cabinets.
- Many custom cabinets in Toronto and elsewhere are utilizing features of cabinets from yesteryear; whether it’s through the use of heavy handles, darker woods, gold or other subtle design features, looking to the past is definitely on trend.
- Not only can this give you more of a unique look, it can also help your home to feel cozier, warmer and more rustic, making it definitely a trend that you should keep your eye on and something to keep in mind when it comes to designing your cabinet.
4. Embellish, embellish, embellish!
- Say goodbye to the box-looking cabinets that grew popular in the 80s and 90s and hello to the new, embellished designs that are slowly taking over and revolutionizing living spaces.
- Whether it’s an intricate or simple carving, a sunken or raised finish on a panel, a colored accent on a handle or a cut out, modern custom cabinets have definitely borrowed from traditional architecture with their embellished features and look more beautiful than ever before.
- If you’re going custom, you’ve got more of an opportunity than ever before to really let your personality shine through your cabinets with the use of embellishments, allowing you to produce a cabinet that’s truly unique in both Toronto and the world.
These Trends aren’t Just for 2017 – They’re for Life
Going custom doesn’t seem to be going out of style any time soon, and with opportunities to both channel the past in your cabinets and endlessly customize through embellishments, we’re sure these trends are here to stay. With the growing use of technology in the home, keep an eye on functional cabinets that look to use tech as a key feature in cabinets.